Thursday, November 10, 2011

Instagram



Photography

For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated with photographers.  There's something about a person holding a camera, whether it's a little child holding a play camera, a mother whipping out her point and shoot to capture her child doing something "pretty amazing" to a professional with all their lenses, flashes and all the other gizmos and gadgets they lug around.  To be able to capture a single second in someone's life is amazing to me.

I remember the first camera I got as a kid...it was a polaroid!  My first subject was of my sister in our front yard.  Waiting as the colors slowing populated the little film.  Oh I forgot to mention how I had to shake it too!  (shake it like a polaroid picture)  hahaha  To see the moment actually coming to life on a little square piece of paper brought excitement to two little Kaneohe girls.

see i'm sleeping!
I've never been comfortable in front of the camera.  Most pictures of me end up either looking as if I'm stiff, fake smiling or sleeping.  Watching celebrities on the red carpet trips me out...they don't blink!!!  Some pose then look down or to the side then once they look up again they keep their eyes open.  Even with all those flashes....I wish I could to that.  Now behind the camera is fun!  I wouldn't say I'm any better at being behind the camera than in front but I feel more comfortable when I'm trying to capture a moment rather than being the moment.  I wouldn't say that I have an eye for photography either but I will say, that when I'm holding a camera most of my photos will be over exposed, out of focus, too close and down right terrible.  However, every once and awhile, I will find a gem of a photo and just be amazed that my eye actually captured it.  Maybe I'm being a little hard on myself...maybe not!  We are our own worst critics, right?!

I've recently left Facebook for another social networking site, it's called Instagram!  If you have an iphone, love photography and can't or won't keep up with all the workings of fb, get Instagram!  It's a fun way to share your photography skills or in my case, my lack of photography skills in a non creepy way!  Have you every heard of Facebook stalking?!?

This weekend will be a little interesting.  I've been asked to be an assistant to a photographer for a fundraiser event.  I'm hoping, well, more like praying that God gives me his strength and his creative artistic ability to be able to get some good shots.  It should be somewhat simple...I hope!  My instructions were, one, take as many pictures as possible and two, of everything!

Great!  I think I can do that!